This is no ordinary update. The new version of EE will be built on the CodeIgniter PHP development platform which will, in turn, offer endless possibilities for usability, productivity and customisation.
For non-technical minded reader think of this as changing your car from a menial family hatchback to a high performace deluxe model!
What’s even better, changing from a current Expression Engine installation will be an upgrade rather than a complete site rebuild - web designers will be breathing a sigh of relief over that one, but EE is a professional grade product built by professional developers after all.
So what’s new in EE2?
It’s early days yet so no-one knows the whole story but this is what we know so far…
- Sleek new admin interface - designed by Veerle Pieters
- Revamped navigation into three main areas - Create/Modify/View
- Dynamic filtering and sorting sorting of your content items
- Improved file uploading and file management
- Improved content editing features with larger editing fields
- New “Accessories” feature - it’s early days for this feature but think “widgets”
...and that’s just to start with!
Over the coming months I’ve no doubt that more new features emerge into the light of day, and, if anything is to go by, the heading on the official sneak preview page gives us a clue - “ExpressionEngine 2.0: Get ready for a technological leap forward!” - say no more!